Armed with a text editor

mu's views on program and recipe! design

July 2007

Editing Appreciated Posted 2007.07.09 18:23 PDT

Nis Martensen, who has undertaken to translate my CairoTutorial into C, found several typos and a source code misalignment. (The latter possibly introduced when I fixed the real error Mark spotted.) I fixed the typos and updated my code display macro to work with tagged lines of code so it should be much less brittle against future code updates. Thanks, Nis!

(0 Comments ) (0 Trackbacks) cairo python

Fixing im-ja Posted 2007.07.06 23:16 PDT

My favorite Japanese input method for gtk+, im-ja, broke when I updated to Debian's gtk+ 2.10 packages. Since there's no upstream activity to speak of (much less new packages), and I can't seem to find this on the web anywhere else, here's the solution I eventually found. No doubt there's a better one out there that updates the package to use the new debhelper support for gtkimmodules to create this file, but I made mine by hand:

% cat /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/immodule-files.d/imja.immodules 
# edited by hand
"im-ja" "Japanese" "gtk+" "/usr/share/locale" "ja"

I had tried compiling a new version of the existing package that would go into the 2.10.0 immodules folder, but that didn't help. When I wired that version up with the slight mode to the above file, it crashed applications that tried to use it. But the original im-ja package is still kicking!

(0 Comments ) (0 Trackbacks) debian gtk+ japanese

April 2007

ReReplayGain Posted 2007.04.07 20:16 PDT

After ending up with too many MP3 files without proper ReplayGain information, and knowing that mp3gain doesn't suit my needs quite right, I went jonesing around in GStreamer once again. Today was my lucky day, though; René Stadler had created a GStreamer element which calculates ReplayGain.

In what's starting to feel usual, Debian doesn't have up to date versions of the software I want to use in either testing or unstable, but this hasn't prevented the maintainer from packaging what I want to use and mirroring it in experimental. After downloading and installing it, I was good to go. First I put together a command-line example of the process, to make sure I knew what was required. Then I munged it into a plugin for Quod Libet.

There's still something fishy about it, as MP3s which I have previously found peak values for above 1.0 are now being reported capped to 1.0; Ogg Vorbis files, on the other hand, correctly exceed this cap and run presumably all the way to 2.0. I hope to clarify my understanding of this probable GStreamer bug shortly, as other than that all values match what I've seen before. I'm quite pleased the results of tonight's work.

(4 Comments ) (0 Trackbacks) gstreamer python quodlibet

March 2007

Script your build, no really! Posted 2007.03.20 20:05 PDT

Thanks Mark Edgington for finding and alerting me to an error in the code behind my Cairo Tutorial. Somewhere between when I originally wrote it and used it to generate it, and when I uploaded it, I introduced an ordering problem that caused the Mask diagram to fail to draw. The trivial difference just required moving the call to super(Mask, self).__init__(*args) to the end of Mask.__init__. For anyone reading the tutorial: don't fear; no informative parts have changed.

This simple error has been sitting there since I originally wrote the code some nine months ago. Even a small project like this tutorial could have benefited from continuous integration.

(0 Comments ) (0 Trackbacks) cairo python